Book Title: Poor Students, Richer Teaching: Mindsets That Raise Student Achievement (Understanding Student Poverty & Using Mindsets in the Classroom to Support Student Success)
Publisher: Solution Tree Press
Author: Eric Jensen
Second in a two-book series
This research-based teacher resource details the difficult but necessary work that K-12 teachers must undertake to positively impact the college and career readiness of students living in poverty. A companion to Poor Students, Rich Teaching, this book outlines three new mindsets that enhance teaching and strengthen students' learning: the positivity mindset, enrichment mindset, and graduation mindset. Author Eric Jensen includes implementation strategies and lesson-planning tools designed to increase student engagement and success.
This book will help you use mindsets in the classroom to motivate students to learn:
- Understand the urgency of student poverty in the United States and how poverty affects classroom engagement, student success, and high school graduation rates.
- Learn how to engage students in the three mindsets to strengthen an attitude of academic optimism, hope, and resilience.
- Positively influence students' social emotional learning to impact achievement and increase college and career readiness skills.
- Build students' cognitive load capacity and social skills to support learning in spite of the challenges they face.
- Communicate the importance of learner autonomy and choice in motivation for students.
About the Author
Chapter 1: The New Normal
Part One: Why the Positivity Mindset?
Chapter 2: Secrets of the Positivity Mindset
Chapter 3: Boost Optimism and Hope
Chapter 4: Build Positive Attitudes
Chapter 5: Foster Control, Choice, and Relevancy
Chapter 6: Change the Emotional Set Point
Chapter 7: Lock in the Positivity Mindset
Part Two: Why the Enrichment Mindset?
Chapter 8: Secrets of the Enrichment Mindset
Chapter 9: Manage the Cognitive Load
Chapter 10: Develop Better Thinking Skills
Chapter 11: Enhance Study Skills and Vocabulary
Chapter 12: Build Better Memory
Chapter 13: Lock in the Enrichment Mindset
Part Three: Why the Graduation Mindset?
Chapter 14: Secrets of the Graduation Mindset
Chapter 15: Support Alternative Solutions
Chapter 16: Prepare for College and Careers
Chapter 17: Lock in the Graduation Mindset
Appendix A: Rich Lesson Planning
Appendix B: Running Your Own Brain
References and Resources
Also see the related resource, Poor Students, Rich Teaching.